This is a platform that I build to assist other English Language Teachers who undeniably have interests on Literature and to help students who say that learning literature is hard by adjoining them in a community of interpreting literature with the assistance of activities which it is interactive and simultaneously transactional.
I am a trainee teacher who is still doing TESL degree program. I build this as my assignment's requirement in my first semester of the final year. I hope you could find this platform as your platform of exploring literature cognitively and affectively.
This is me, Mark, who builds the platform for “Mr. Nobody”, written by an anonymous. “Mr. Nobody” is a fantastic poem that is highlighting a mischievous funny little boy who is addressed as the little man in the poem. The Mother is the angle to observe her little man and she does write the poem for him.
I’m working on the literature elements, specifically on the teaching of theme by analysing the modal verbs, auxiliary verbs and action verbs used.
Helping Hands for the teachers
1) The plan is to help you to teach the theme by analysing the functions of the verbs.
2) This platform helps you to empower the appreciation of the poem among the students by integrating the big “L” and small “l”.
3) A close-study on the small “l” which is about language used in the big “L” that is about the elements of literature of poems (theme, issues, symbolism, literary device, etc)
4) To have a journey on this poem and to understand it better, the use of Barret’s Taxonomy on Reading Literary Texts suggested by Malachi Edwin Vethamani (was at University Putra Malaysia, now at Wawasan Open University as a Dean and Professor) on The English Teacher Vol. XXXVI, 20-33, has both cognitive and affective involvement for greater depth on interpretations. [Refer to the article The English Teacher 2007, page 20 to page 33 in www.melta.org.my]
Learning Process for the students
1) The interactive digital between teachers and students in this platform will help to deepen the poem in discussions and sharing ideas and voicing out interpretations.
2) It is to help you to know that literature is not hard although it is novelty (new).
3) Learning literature by having knowledge of the elements of literature focused in the literary texts is fun and takes you in the considerations of maturity of thoughts and maturity of using vast amount of vocabularies.
4) It is for you to understand the theme and issues in this poem better and you will do the activities.
5) You are encouraged to appreciate creative language use and cultural diversities, respond to literary texts and express your views confidently and succintly.
Mr. Nobody, a poem, has been chosen as the selected literary text for literature study on A Collection of Poems, Short Stories and Drama Form 1 to Form 3 by the collaborative effort between the Ministry of Education namely the Curriculum Development Division and the Textbook Division, based on the criteria like authenticity, aesthetic values, moral values, humour, teenage issues, length and language (Introduction, A Collection of Poems, Short Stories and Drama Form 1 to Form 3).
A simple memo from me
Do have fun learning literature because literature moves you from where you are to another setting in the text. This poem, Mr. Nobody, is a start! Let’s start the journey of interpreting literature in our world and let’s invite other souls cordially in this journey by sharing your thoughts, giving your views and discussing your comparisons.